[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4673: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4674: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
KK - THE MESMERIZER View topic - Which is FINALLY a long and adoring post of KK-appreciation.

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Post subject: Which is FINALLY a long and adoring post of KK-appreciation.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:09 am 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Or Cain Is Alive! With The Sound Of Music! XD
Aaand she's back! *bounces*

I've been away so long the site is screaming with blue notifications. I've only just dealt with all of them - and I'm not back permanently yet anyway, just for a while...then I have preboards and boards and the whole damn nine yards and a half. I think I just mixed a metaphor. Sigh.

Anyhow, since I have one hell of a backlog - let it be official. This Is A Long And Adoring (and overdue-as-all-hell) Post Of KK-Appreciation.

Or swooning over.

Or let us simply say fangirling.

Coupla warnings: one, I use the word 'damn' a lot, and two: Urdu Word Fetish Alert. XD

Ah well. To business! *raises glass* (all puns intended. XD)

Let's begin with the haircut, shall we? (Be honest, you totally knew Cain wouldn't let this post go without mentioning how goggle-eyed she is over the momentous decision.) I hear opinions differ, but I personally am swooning. Not that I didn't swoon before - you guys will bear witness to the fact that I did, and damn well constantly - but hot DAMN the line of his jaw. Did I mention that I was swooning? I had better shut up and give you what you want. XD

As I said (with great chagrin), the backlog has accumulated in my absence; I don't really know if this is a bad thing or a good one, because now you and I and all the KK-love-starved people out there are going to get it all in one chunk. Delectable, mm yes.
I don't know if this is in chronological order (I'm grouping them by movie), but I'm trying - oh, heck, I'm not trying. My love is takin' over...got to let him in. XD
(Wow, I need to cut it out with the random old song jokes.)

Onward!

Chaahoon Tujhe (Mallika)
I loved this one from the time it came out on promo video. I remember humming it for DAYS, then finally getting hold of it the day before the first term chemistry paper. :P
I'll admit the chords in the beginning remind me vaguely of Ishaara from Pal, but the rest of the track completely redeems it. The stanzas are perfect, the lyrics perky and - well, flirty is the best word I've got, the chorus lines just subtly different each time - I enjoyed that little quirk very much, and I'm not quite sure why. XD Chaahoon tujhe har adaa mein - haan, chaahoon tujhe, ab sadaa main...
I'd thought I was getting tired of Sunidhi Chauhan, but she's fresh and sweet and just what was required of her; KK is intense and just naughty enough at the same time. Which combination only he can carry off...and damn can he carry it off. Whew. *grin*

Sajde (Khatta Meetha) is corny. It's sweet Hindi-film romance at its sweetest - and if anyone could ever get it so completely damn right, it's KK. The score, as in the previous track, isn't really notable - simply because it complements the mood so much there isn't anything left to be said.
My only grievance with this is that in the recording it's KK with the low parts and Sunidhi with the high - and in the film it's just the opposite. They could've left both the versions in the soundtrack - well, actually they could've turned the two into four versions - like aldol condensation - wow, I should cut it with the chemistry metaphors.
Uth uth ke raaton ko bhi...teri vafaaein maangi...paaya hai maine phir tujhe...
If anyone else said these lines, they would fall flat. With KK, I'm the one who's floored. And wishing it were my ear he's whispering it in.

Guzaarish (title track) is old-world and whimsical, and yes - tragic. Minimal scoring, haunting piano notes. The lyrics don't seem to say much, but the pain filters through them, and the way his voice melds with the rhythm, you know he feels them just as much as you do; you know you'll feel it even if you don't pay attention to the words; ismein teri baahon mein mar jaaoon... you know when your time comes, you'll want to die in someone's arms as well.

Daaein Baaein (Guzaarish) has the same aura of rain that the title track has. It's less tragic, but woven from the same thread of melancholy; taare toote girke, daaein baaein - it's also romantic, in a soft, cuddling-on-a-park-bench-at-night-and-wishing-on-a-star kind of way. I dig it. =)
Also, I like the word khidmat - anyone want to tell me what it means? ;)

Jaane Kiske Khvaab (Guzaarish) is, I think, my favourite of the three. Barely three minutes long, it's still got some of his classic twists of voice - adaaein, if I may say so - and that warm understanding of the emotion behind the words that is so rare in anyone, anyone at all - jaane kiski baat, honthon pe laake raat rakh jaati hai -
Also, the wo-ho-ho after the beginning? Gorgeous.

Golmaal 3 (title track) is a fluffy insane kind of song, but the entrance. Is. Perfect. If the first line itself hadn't made me want to gyrate with him (weird desires, anyone? Anyone?), then Tumse kiya tha jo! Vaada nibhaana hai! certainly did it for me. Vigour, people - distilled energy - this is it. (Plus the girls ain't half bad either. I always did want a track with him and either Anushka or Monali - well hey look at that, I got both. *giggle*)
And apparently 'bechain' was supposed to rhyme with 'again'? I ask you. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry - I simply settled for editing the extra vocals out. XD

Tu Hi Mere Hum Navaa (Knock Out)
I'll confess I didn't quite like this at first - perhaps it was because of the whole maulaaaa stereotype (please tell me you know what I mean?) and the not-quite-up-to-Vishal-Shekhar-standard score - but the intro and the tujh bin jiyoon kis tarah saves it. I swear, that line gets me every time - the slight, slight, slight lift of the note at the end - how does he make it feel like he's ravishing you right there? *is generally goggle-eyed*

Aasraa (Tujhi Mein) (Crook) I wrote this the first time I heard Aasraa, and it's been lingering on my cellphone ever since. Remind me to post the full version sometime: Aasraa's passion, its valiant desperation has tangible warmth, and yet running through the music there's an undercurrent of frigid fear...And just beneath that flows more warmth, warmth that isn't passion or comfort, warmth that's electronic, not emotional...It's separate, always separate, but it's there, all the layers are there...
And that - think! - was just the music and the lyrics. KK takes both and soars with them, his voice merging with them and yet separate, fusing the beat with the guitars and distilling them at the same time, clearly defined crests and troughs, khizaaon mein hain mausam khile, if I were to graph the emotional intensity (which I shouldn't, but I want to, because damn I'm a geek), the resounding wo-o-ooo a supplement and not simply a chorus segment - again the chorus segments are slightly different every time, I enjoy that and I don't know why...
Khizaaon, too.
Autumn.
I think Kumaar is pretty much a genius.
Well, suffice it to say that Aasraa is a classic.

Aasraa Reprise (Tujhi Mein Reprise) (Crook)
A slower, more acoustic version of Aasraa; its lyrics have a gentler tone, but are no less intense. The original had an intensity that gripped you and possessed you and left you gasping; this has an intensity that builds slowly, seeping into every crevice of your soul until you finally realize you can bear no more. This one starts with the first stanza immediately and only then goes on to the crux of the matter (tujhi mein dhoondoon...kuch der jeene ka...aasraa...), which, I think, works to build that devastation, and is beautifully, cruelly effective. Gentle yet roaring, passionate yet restrained, Aasraa Reprise is just as much of a classic - but it must be separated from its predecessor -
Tu hi bharosaa hai, tu hi to ummeed hai...aakhri...
- because where that aroused you, this will break you.

Tujhko Jo (Mere Bina Unplugged) (Crook) is another example of extremely well-written romance turning into passion in the hands of a master of the art. And I like to think the reason he is one is because, to him, it isn't an art; it's his depth of feeling, truly his that brings his music alive. Tujhko Jo is an expression of his individuality; it's not only his passion that is most important here, but his particular way of enunciation, the lightning-quick transitions from intensity to frank confession to ever-so-slight naughtiness all with an undercurrent of ecstasy and belonging, the little tricks of voice and tone that tell you with all possible certainty that you are his.
Because Teri hadon mein, meri basar hai...Ab tujhe bhi, jaana kidhar hai... had me in the palm of his hand. I seem to recall writing a hand metaphor once before, and being exasperated with myself because the man's hands have nothing to do with it. But there you have it. I melt for him.

I Am In Love (Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai)
Why I Am In Love now, you ask? Because all the connoisseurs say that after a heady wine...you require some cheese. (Okay, I know that was the worst joke ever, but still. Forgive me. Please. XD)
'Cheese' is the only way to describe this track (and the remix, which after heavy editing to get the backing vocals out I admit to liking). Pure sentimental lovin' cheese. And it is adorable. Ek zaraa maasoom se dil ki aafat ho gayiii has just the right degree of dramebaazi (yes, I have said this before) to make me enjoy it to the hilt, and dishaaon dus tu hai, tu hi hai bas tu hai just turns me molten with soppy, sentimental happiness.
Put this one on when you're in need of comfort after a bad day, or when you're just plain feeling like fluff. =)

Sunlena Sunlena (Ramaa - The Saviour)
Okay, so this is an obscure track and it does have a slightly weird incoherence-segment at the beginning and in the middle, but you get used to it - and boy, when you get used to it! I've begun, as a matter of fact, to rather like it.
Usually when there are multiple interpretations of a track, I feel my way through their layers, find a pattern that feels right. With Sunlena, there are two - and I've immediately plunged in and broken the cover of the deeper, darker second interpretation, like the shallow one doesn't exist at all. It's happened once before. With Kaisa Ye Raaz Hai. I'm not even going to try and explain that.
Anyhow, with the deeper interpretation, the track gets to be - well, deliciously irreverent is the phrase I used originally, and I'll stick to it.
"Apni raftaar ke aage to haar ke, rastaa havaaon ko bhi padta hai modnaa!" Oh you. *grin*

Saveraa (Poochta Hai Mann Ye Meraa) (Red Alert)
(I'd just like to ask a general question here - doesn't this sound like poochta hai mann ye teraa to anyone else? Anyone? Please?)
I thought I'd never find this track; thanks to Saurabh and a couple of very helpful people on faneteria (Swapnil and Amlan, here's a shoutout to you!) it's finally out. And all eight minutes of it are pure glory.
The tune is raw, the lyrics are raw, his voice is raw power. I've heard tracks entreating one to take action; never have I heard one so desperate as to be a plea - and so powerful as to be a command.
Raah taake raaste, tere hi toh vaaste - o bandhu - tu na dagmagaa!
This track could be shot so beautifully onscreen - but that's not my business, so I shall shut up.

Lamhaa (Tere Bin) (Bandish's self-titled album - subtitled, oddly enough, Rock In Hindi Never Got Better - I say oddly because, hey, Pal and Humsafar are so totally rock...)
Lamhaa. What do I even say? I think I'm obsessed with it. The remix anyway, which is one of the most awesome remixes I've ever heard. Oh, the mixing is perfect, the beginning with Kyon tu mujhse hai judaa (instead of 'tere bin') is perfect, the echoing and reverb is perfect - and he is perfect.
On the face of it it's just another track about lovin' someone, but the lyrics are intense and so is he - intense enough to physically crush you if you don't let yourself be taken...
The score is just as passionate as his voice is, building (teri adaaon pe, khud ko bhulaakar...madhosh hoon, hosh mein aakar...) to a perfect climax (kyon tu mujhse hai judaa?...tu hi to hai meraa khudaa...ye nashaa hai ya pyaar hai, tu bataa-aa!), inducing an adrenaline rush as easily as it drowns you in dopamine.
I think the essential fact about this song is that in the remix, they put kyon tu mujhse hai judaa in the beginning. This way, this track tells a story, building at the end to the epiphany, while the rest of the song is the explanation of the line he began with...
In addition, this track triggers my car fetish. A lot. Don't even ask me to explain why.

And finally, because I like to save the best for last...

O Haseen Zaraa (Luk Chhup Jaana) (Action Replayy) is a) adoring, b) passionate, c) just-a-little-naughty in that trademark KK way, and d) retro. Retro like take-out-your-lava-lamps-and-discoballs-because-it's-so-good-that-nobody-gives-a-damn-if-you-mix-up-your-decades retro. I do recall taking almost all of the female's parts out of the track (I left her in two places because she overlapped him) because she really didn't seem necessary, but otherwise O Haseen Zaraa is perfect.
Tu hai adaa, adaa, main hoon fidaa, fidaa - jaan-e-vafaa, teri to baat hi kya hai! melts you at once, and you know you're in for a fun ride - and then the middle segment turns up and main hi teri aankhon mein *basaa* hoon, teri baahon mein *kasaa* hoon stops your breath, tells you it's more than just fun -
And then the crescendo leaves you waiting for more...
Ankahee koi...Dil mein hasrat pale...pale...pale...pale...
Jalne de jahaan...Ko jo hum tum mile...mile...mile...mile...

And you know what? After all this...I'm still parched for more.

I think I just love this man.
*sigh*

And you know what else? I'm worse than a geek. I'm a lyrical geek. XD

Reply, folks - let me know I'm not alone!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Which is FINALLY a long and adoring post of KK-appreciat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

DAMN!!! This was some review...not getting the apt word for some now...
i'll edit and put it later on ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

;) Thank you! And I'm waitin' :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:14 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Hospitality! Thanks for that. :) And thanks for the Aasraa comment *blushes*

Oh yeah, that aare, aare, aaraa was the weird incoherence-segment I mentioned. :P I ended up liking it. XD
As for the warm understanding, I meant there are so many people in the industry who sound like they have no clue what they're singing. KK is the opposite of that. =)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:57 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Obvsly Yaar! KK is diametrically opposite to that!
I thought, U were saying for lyricist! :)

dont know why & how... but now my ears are sensing that as ..mann ye teraa

& that is Kumaar I guess, not Sayeed Quadri!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:13 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Oh, it is Kumaar. I am an idiot. O.O Thank you!

and yeah, I think it is teraa!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:11 am 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Yeah, it definitely sounds more like Poochta Hai Man Ye Teraa...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:02 pm 

Awesome review..feels juzz d same abt every of d songs mentioned..cud hv also included "Jaane ye kya hua".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

*stretches his arms*
Right... so we all knew that you were definitely going to post this. There's very little that can be added, though. Eventually, I, just like most others, can only try and make Cain's writing more brilliant!
Here you go...

The haircut: Well, it's effing perfect and we first get to see him in red & black... could this have got any better? More than that, it's just the FEEL of his look.. he's certainly gettin' better with age, isn't he? :P

Chahoon Tujhe: I remember how I first got to listen to this one... it was a rather surprising first-listening. But yeah, he's not sounded like a man who's sung a Power Ballad or a Tadap Tadap. It's here where he outdoes every bloody singer on this planet... unparalleled versatility!
And as Cain would say... "Only he could have carried that off without falling flat!"

Sajde: I initially didn't feel it too much... more 'coz I was so into his other tracks at that point in time... and the video so urged me to obliterate the entire crew of the movie for their incapability.
It's mushy, all right. But then you've got to sing those to prove to the morons that you can do conventional, inert stuff as well. :P (Did I just say 'inert'? Para, you listening?)

Guzaarish: I personally feel he wouldn't have done this if it weren't for Bhansali. But anyway, he's done his part as beautifully as any other singer would have, if not more. It's just that when he's singing even music in its entirety can sound disturbing... his voice is enough, trust me! (The Juliet-nonsense was so bloody unnecessary and I hope I made sense here! :P)

Daaein Baaein: This one's my favorite track from Guzaarish.
I loved it even more when we got to hear it during the Guzaarish music-launch. Again, 'unplugged' is unimaginable ecstasy! :D
... jee uttha hoon mar ke...

Jaane Kiske Khaab: Though the conventional Urdu word is 'khvaab', I'd like to correct you here, Cain... he's used 'khaab' in the song. :P
Anyhow, it's classy and supremely enigmatic. Well, all three Guzaarish tracks have more of KK and less of 'interference', which makes it... well... don't know how to put it..! :D

Golmaal 3 (GoNE GoNE GoNE Golmaal, as we call it. XD):
I SO owe it to you... FEEL! I initially thought it wasn't gonna appeal to me ever! But then, Cain's made so many people change their minds and I'm no exception. It's peppy and trust me, once you get hold of the edited version, you'll love it more than ever.
(DAMN, I'm literally dying to realize that CD idea of yours. XD)

Tu Hi Mere Hum Navaa:
... koi tujhsaa hai nahin, jahaan mein doosra...
He's just said it all by himself..! :D
It has some irritating music parts but the lyrics and the usage of some impeccable words makes one forget that. (hum-navaa, ravaan, armaan, taraashe, haadsaa, gunaahon, panaahon, bahaaron, dil-kashi, kaafilaa... FEEL!)

Aasraa: I would kill for a live rock version of this! Power and Energy define it. It's supernatural. Yes Para, this one's for the Manza drive as well. :P
Fatal, to say the least! :D

Aasraa Reprise: It's got way better lyrics than Aasraa and again, more of KK! XD
For the statistically inclined, arguably his best song this year.
... jaa-naa-hai-kahaan...

Mere Bina Unplugged: Magic. It's not a conventional romantic track for sure. Since I first heard it, I've felt that it's divided into two parts... the opening stanza is only a build-up to the amazingly pure second part... his knack of winning over with clinical precision can be bettered only by him. And he does that so effortlessly. :D

I Am In Love: This one's in my most-played list this year. If a Malayalee would come to know that this Malayalee can render English lines with such brilliance, he'd die of shame, utter shame! :D
(Cineraria, Humsafar, Tu Mujhe Soch Kabhi are classic examples.)

Sun Lena Sun Lena: We've heard his woo-hooos and woo-oo-ooos and naa-na-na-naa-na-na-naas and now his aaree-aaree-aaree-aaraas... draamebaazi, all right. :P
This one's an authoritative plea, if I may put it so. It has some great chunks of music... and we all know he'd rarely do a song without substantial lyrics. It'll only grow on you! :D

Poochtaa Hai Mann Ye 'Teraa': There isn't a single website remaining on the google search engine which I've not dug for this song. I'd given up and convinced my mind that this was another 'Hum Panchhi Ek Daal Ke'...
But but... there's very little that Subhakanta Das's genius creation (faneteria) cannot find or accomplish. :D
Thank you, all who've helped us get this wonderful track. :D

Lamhaa Remix: Here's one for the headbangers. I remember telling Para, "Ab tak feel nahin aaya hai! :(" But I kinda knew it was only a matter of time... FEEL forever! :D
... basss tere liyee...

O Haseen Zaraa: You had a tough time renaming and editing this one, I know. ;) The female needs to get a life. She's got no business messing about when the magician's at work. But never mind, our surgeon can always get the better of such elements with her soundforge knife anyway! :P
I know you'd be sick of it by now, but I really can't help it... FEEL, it is! :D
headbangin' forever!

And Para, just so you know, you're never alone! :D

Love,
Sukh