[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4673: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4674: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
KK - THE MESMERIZER View topic - Say Miaow To Me (aka: O', Mama!)

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Post subject: Say Miaow To Me (aka: O', Mama!)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:47 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

That KYRH special is totally coming up when my papers are over. Right? Right.
Meanwhile, my physics exam is in a week. This is my last night with my computer. Thanks to Sukhi, I've just watched .
This post has decided it will. not. wait.

I shall clarify something at this point; you'll see why you need to know this later. Cain has had a cat fetish ever since she was a tiny little kid. Also, this post is overrun with her immensely active hormones. Cain, however, is sapiosexual, so intellectual content there will be - as there always is. 'Nuff said...for now. ;)

O' Mama (Saat Khoon Maaf).
Hot. Freakin'. Damn.

This is what a Facebook status of mine said a couple of days after the release of the music of Saat Khoon Maaf: IT IS SETTLED. My all-purpose phrase, spoken in various tones in moments of dramebaazi, shall now be a long-drawn-out "O', mama!"
Dramebaaz it is, all right, and I love it in part for the same reason I love Dilli Ki Sardi - because it's manifestly crazy. Compare chaahat ki aag jalaa le, kambal mein mujhe chhupa le to o' mama! kanche maare - billi jaisi aankhon vaali ek miaow si ladki... and you get the picture...right? XD
The rest of the reasons why I love this song so are - well, they're analyzed here. Read on, Macduff!

O' Mama is the kind of track you think will need a little getting used to - but once you've got over the slight resemblance (in score/aura) to Main Khudaa, it works its magic on you within seconds. I'm going to give you a blow-by-blow account of it and then tie it in with the video, because I'm currently quite obsessed.

It begins with a few repetitive, unobtrusive piano chords, and if you've been beguiled into raising the volume, beware because when the guitars and drums enter - with a bang, pun intended - they will deafen you. And then if electric guitars per se please you, you will be so gleeful you won't want to lower it again. (This happened to me.)
The 'O' mama' of the entry is soft and vague, and then solidifies into vigour with the next few repetitions. It may sound strange when I put it that way, but it's a fitting introduction, a gradual build-up of suspense - because that's what the song's genre is, suspense, like Kaisa Ye Raaz Hai. (NOT again. I swear. *bangs head against wall*)
The first stanza introduces one to the idea of a femme fatale - not unlike Door Se Paas, in a way, but where Door Se Paas sets up a standing wave to sweep you up at once, this gently eases you into the idea. This lady isn't looking to woo you at once - she's cleverer, more stealthy than that, because you've succumbed to her without even knowing it. Ab khair toh nahin...koi bair toh nahin... gives you but little warning of what's to come, and jo dil gayaa, gayaa...o' mama! is merely the run-up - though its smooth, maniacal transition from soulful to intense, from whimsical to fiery, is nothing short of incapacitating in its glory.
Now begins the interesting part.

O' mama - kanche maare - billi jaisi aankhon vaali, ek miaow si ladki...
Now the way he says 'miaow' is sultry and devastating, but that's not my point here. What I'm saying is, this is where the cat metaphors begin. This girl is feline; she's stealthy and seductive and can claw or purr as she damn well pleases.
Oonghe kabhi - soonghe kabhi - jhaanke kabhi - aaoon kabhi, kabhi jaaoon si ladki...
I cannot begin to tell you how exactly like a cat this is. I have eight cats (and in fact a friend calls me Cat too): they do go to sleep completely randomly (I've had one sleeping in my lap while clinging to my jeans...), they do sniff at anything to make sure they like the idea of it, they do come and go exactly when they feel like it and you'd better make way for them or else. XD

The second stanza begins after an interlude, and the way he begins it, no kiddin', gets me hot. No one has quite so much class as KK: The ever-so-slight hum that begins the line? Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.
mmm...aise dabe paaon aaye vo, ke chaap na ho...
Khvaab mein mil jaaye lekin vo - khvaab na ho...
Ummeed toh nahin, phir bhi ummeed ho...
Koi toh is tarah, aashiq shaheed ho...
Koi gayaa, gayaa...
This stanza reduces me to screaming in incoherent ecstasy, because it's got the feline implications as well as two such beautifully phrased and gloriously sung paradoxes that it drives me wild.
KK. Gulzar. Vishal Bhardwaj. I salute the three of you. Salute, I say!
The aise dabe paaon line is a beautiful, sexy and dangerous reference to a cat's silent tread. Khvaab mein mil jaaye tells of the elusiveness of a feline, lekin vo...khvaab na ho... is just slightly breathless, holds just the right degree of wonder at the fact that she's a goddamn dream but she isn't, you have her, she's danger and darkness and lust and she's actually yours - and you can't believe it, but you do, you have to.
Koi toh is tarah, aashiq shaheed ho... - and it's in the heaven afforded by her sanctuary-that-isn't that you feel ecstasy so great that you could simply die of it.
(That last line, genders reversed and feeling intensified, is a very apt description of me when it comes to KK.)

The chorus again, and it reiterates her feline character, and more importantly than ever, the fact that it's all physical. She will not engage in symbiosis, but instead drain you and discard you. You know this, can't help knowing it, and you still can't resist her deadly fascination.
All her forces are concentrated on that fascination alone - but you're a paradox. It's why she's chosen you - you fascinate her too. You're submissive, submissive because she's charmed you into it, but you're self-aware and you're struggling, fighting her with your ears back and your teeth at her throat -
She will win, but damn you'll put up a fight.
...and heaven help me if I didn't just describe what all members of Felidae do to arouse each other. Whoa.

The lyrics are fantastic, as I've already said line-by-line above; the dark cat metaphors are perfect.
Also, consider that most of the interpretation above is based on his vocals. Even if he hasn't thought about it in as much nitpicking detail as I've analyzed it here, he's felt it and that's translated into the passion with which he's sung it. He understands it, understands the cat references that make it what it is, and he's surpassed himself in conveying that meaning to anyone who listens.
Story in one equation: KK plus dark cat metaphors = extremely happy Cain who keeps having to tape her mouth shut in order not to say something completely risqué. XD

O' Mama Acoustic is a short track with the score fading into the background. Agony and ecstasy are indistinguishable as they fuse in his voice - it's a cry, an appeal, a helpless lament of betrayal and admiration.
It's even more explicit than the original version: gol banaakar honth bahut paas aaye par...o' mama...o' mama... because it states her sensuality openly - unke lab bhi dekhte reh gaye...chai par...
And it's even more explicit in the statement of the death wish: takraaye honthon se, phir bhi ummeed ho - koi toh is tarah, aashiq shaheed ho...
I quote from Shakespeare again: The stroke of death is as a lover's pinch, which hurts and is desired. Only in this case, it's both which hurt, and both which are desperately, wholly desired...
Face it, people, sex. No one conveys it like he does. None as subtly - none as passionately - none as wholly and purely and, in this case, darkly at the same time - none as perfectly.

Now, that video. The reason I love that video is because it features a perfectly serious word-and-gesture discussion between KK and Vishal Bhardwaj on the variation of sultriness with the pronunciation of the word 'miaow'.
Dude.
I am so totally sold on these guys. I mean, they're standing there, they're in the middle of recording, and (thinking about it quite seriously on Mr Bhardwaj's instructions) KK's trying out ways of saying miaow. Completely insane, and completely awesome.
Did I mention I was sapiosexual?
I knew there had to be a reason that among all those so-called icons in class six, KK was the guy I fell for. XD

The upshot of this business? Along with "talk dirty to me", which to Cain (sapiosexuality=geekdom) is interchangeable with "use scientific facts or Robert Ludlum quotes to flirt decorously and shamelessly with me"...the newest turn-me-on sentence to join the ranks is apparently "say 'miaow' to me". XD

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Say Miaow To Me (aka: O', Mama!)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:46 am 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

O' Mama

Well, most of you may know I'm more of a feel and lyrics person. It really baffles me how people can write such amazing lyrics and most of them so fit into the scene's context. I can't help thinking what prompted Gulzar to actually write something like this. I'd beg to differ from the stereotypes which say that rock lyrics don't usually make sense and it's the music and growling that matters more. Awesome lyrics are a way bigger turn-on than anything else. And add to that KK's feel...you're in for an extravaganza; the enigma is unmatched. Yeah, O' Mama, KYRH, Main Khudaa, Cineraria, Dekho Na are few of the countless examples. Writing is a difficult job, all right but when a singer renders those lines like KK does, most lyricists would agree that they would have never felt so profoundly about their writing if it were not substantiated to music.
O' Mama has dark lyrics and they're actually quite indecipherable if you're not a cat person, unlike Para. :P
I feel these two songs comprehensively define the movie. Watch it once and try correlating each aspect of the movie with O' Mama...you'll realize what I'm saying is at least partially correct, if not wholly. It describes the sneakiness and delirium of Priyanka Chopra. She's insane, intelligent, manipulative, seductive and charming...all at the same time.

And Para, as far as reviewing O' Mama is concerned, the only thing you missed was the woo-oooooo-oooooooooo at the end. It's 'passionately charged' and is the 'virtual drug'. XD

For the rest of you... well, you can dig up the entire google engine if you like, but you'll not find anything close to this review. :D
Cat + Miaow + Para + KK = inarguably the best combination ever...I so hope he comes up with an Iraada soon. ;D (themesmerizer inside jokes) :D

Love,
Sukh

P.S: @ Para: Miaow! XD

Post subject: Re: Say Miaow To Me (aka: O', Mama!)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:15 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

HOWINTHENAMEOFFREAKIN'SANITY did I miss the woo-ooo at the end? HOW? I have no goddamn clue and it is so goddamn perfect. Very, very similar to Main Khudaa (for reference's sake, the part is just before bas...ab aur nahin); in fact it's the song's most direct link to Main Khudaa, and with that barest of bare reminders it solidifies its position in one's mind as not to be trifled with.

The cat references are one of the main reasons I decided to post a special on O' Mama (along with that video *sheepish grin*). I had to explain them to the non-cat-people out there. XD

I need to edit this post now I've seen the movie and read the book...there's a lot more I've got to say that'll probably address the other issues.

Also, thank you! :)
(And damn, so do I. XD)