[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4673: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4674: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3816)
KK - THE MESMERIZER View topic - More snippets while you wait!

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Post subject: More snippets while you wait!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

'Lo there, ladies and gentlemen of the...wild. (And now I'm kind of staring at the screen trying to figure out why I said that.)
Cain is in sort of a weird state right now. I don't know about you guys, but for the past couple of weeks I've been having these emotional flashbacks to about six or seven years ago. My theory is that it's something to do with the weather, but whatever it is, I'm reacting more like I did then. More brusque, maybe a little less subtle - though that lack of subtlety comes and goes, as it were - and on occasion there's this strange sense of empowerment I apparently lost for longer and longer periods of time as I grew up. (I remember it from my first experiences with Pal. More on that later.)
Though exams are sort of round the corner, this semester is the kind of horrible one where all the subjects require rote and nothing else - which is intellectual murder - and I've been thrown off my game physically as well for about a week, and I'm pretty much vibrating to do something creative to offset that, but the only character-voice I can find for my protagonist at the moment is I'm tired, damnit and the other one is too busy worrying about him to pay any attention to me, so...yeah.

Rest assured that I am actively working on the post all of you want. It's going to be considerably geekier than usual, because I've got theories. I must ask you, therefore, to be patient - both in waiting for me to complete it and in reading it when I do.

Meanwhile, these.

Eleven-year-old fangirlish self cut up the cover of her Pal cassette to put in some sort of scrapbook to swoon over, and, probably exacerbated by the flashbacks, I've kind of been missing it. So a couple of weeks ago I took a detour on the way home from college to scour Janpath for an audio cassette (!). I found a delightful storekeeper who said he'd look for it and keep it for me till I could pick it up the next day, so I did. (I must've struck him as both a whirlwind and an eccentric; I was wearing this flame-coloured shirt which no doubt contributed to that impression. :P)
So I scooped up my prize and promptly strode back to A Block, where I sat down on a parapet behind a red WagonR and carefully examined it as though it were a long-lost friend. Which it kind of was; you can't fit a CD case into one hand, can you?
The ridiculously awesome pictures, my gosh. I will never tire of shaking my head indulgently at those pictures. And blue denim. (I think I can pretty much trace the thing I have for denim to Pal - I'd wanted a denim jacket for some time, but he gave me the assurance that it wasn't an insane thing to want. Eleven-year-old self apparently got some weird ideas into her head at times. :P)
And the thank-you note is still the most adorable thing ever. I highly doubt it will ever stop being the most adorable thing ever. That apostrophe. And I'd totally forgotten he'd thanked MSM Delhi. And holy hvz, referring to it as MSM Delhi, that is the hottest way I have ever heard it referred to. I'm not even kidding.

It is now in the top drawer of my desk, where my tape collection used to be until three or four years ago ("Can I discard these?" "Chuck 'em all except Pal."), and whenever I open the drawer to look for stationery or whatever I see him there and grin at him. Like Hi there, darlin', I've missed you. Are you all right? And it's a damn good feeling.
Also damnit, KK, how the hell do you manage to make Devnagari sexy?

Here we are going back to O' Mama. XD

'Captain Sarcasm' is my *ahem* superhero avatar. (Not really. Though the entire science-fiction fraternity is certainly waiting for a better take on superheroes than 'okay, here's a bunch of brawny physical-superpowered dudes and possibly the occasional dudette, now watch them save the world'.) Let's just say that I have command of the Grammar Nazis.

This is what happens when a bunch of insane friends are up and online together in the middle of the night. As you can see, there are four people in this conversation (there were five in the entire thread, actually). I, of course, am predictable. XD

There's also this three-minute interview (pasting the link because embedded links aren't visible any more: http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/45667573/file.html - thanks, Areeba!) with Radio Tarana again, which is adorable for many, many reasons. He was pretty tired, though (sounded so, and even admitted it), and I wanted to hug him, because seriously, he sounded as though all he wanted to do was sleep. Poor cat. *hug*
Then again, he kept slipping into English no matter how hard he tried to stick to Hindi, which is totally something I do when I'm tired and/or under duress, and we are such kindred spirits it's crazy. I've never noticed anyone but myself doing it before. Also he tried to translate 'I intend to enjoy myself' into Hindi and did it pretty much directly, which kind of fell flat and was extremely adorable. XD
The interviewer asked him how he'd liked New Zealand last year, and behold this gem: "I drove around, actually, I drove all the way to Wellington...in a car..." Oh gosh, the adorable pause. Yes, KK, of course you were in a car. XD
Besides, I love it when anyone's inner driver surfaces, and whatever glimpses I've had of his? Amazing. ;)

And finally...here.
*lays trump card on table with exaggeratedly languid ease*

This is the newest advertisement for the Alchemist Group, and it is so freakin' gorgeous I could cry. (Though I haven't actually crossed that line yet - Power Ballad, Ek Pal Mein, Mere Khudaa, Main Khudaa and Aasraa are the tracks that have records of making me cry to date.) I have a weakness for jingles which probably grows out of my mental song/story parallel: advertisements must of necessity say as much as they can in as short a time as they can, and for that reason it's a whole other medium in itself. They are, as it were, the flash fiction to the full-fledged track's short story. I think, on considering, that I may have a narrative fetish...if that makes any sense to you.

This jingle is reminiscent of the SIDBI one that ran around seven years ago (reinforcing my theory about the weather, perhaps?) and though it isn't as good as that there are so many things about it to love. The simplicity of the vow motif, for one, and the layering of it at the end, combined with the laconic aptitude of the words themselves. This is a brilliant medium for the lightning-quick transitions he's so damn good at - you don't actually need the switch in the visuals to tell that the scene has changed. There are four distinct scenes between the rising and falling of the curtain in this one-act play, and each differs in intensity (har ek dishaa mein surakshaa ka vaadaa! being the climax and, naturally, my favourite line. I have favourite lines of jingles too, apparently.)

I sort of like their video as well, to tell you the truth - they use the Forces as emotional capital, for one, which is quite nice to see in the wake of all the stuff that's been making them a magnet for apathy these days, and the field medic kind of reminds me of Naseeruddin Shah, which is always nice. (I can't say why, though, because I can't actually see the video right now - my connection's iffy. I ripped the mp3.) Though the man speaking at the end kind of tries to ruin it - why couldn't they have got him to say that line as well as sing the jingle? It would've been far less incongruous, and how about the sheer amount of class he has even as a speaker? - what I'm saying here is that I think these people knew what they were doing: KK is the perfect choice for a jingle like this, because he always says everything and more. If there is subtext to your message, if there is subtlety yet strength in what you have to say, KK will convey it. And I think they knew it. They had a winner of a concept, an excellent piece of writing, and they chose exactly the right person to carry it through.

You don't need someone who can merely carry a tune in a situation like this - you need someone who can make a story soar with that tune. And this thing's got the graph and the format of a story - introduction, exposition, climax, conclusion, point made in forty seconds. This man can completely ravish a listener in forty seconds.

Do you wonder why I love him so damn much? No. Of course you don't.

I've read your replies, you guys, and I'll reply to you soon.
And now I have an analytical chemistry practical, so excuse me. Goodnight. :P

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: More snippets while you wait!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am 

Why did I have a hunch that you are gonna put another one here on 23rd?
Alright this BSNL connection is troubling me a little(driving me nuts, to be precise), I cant open full editor and probably cant type all that i intend to.

The moment I heard(and saw) that Alchemist jingle on TV, Oh there was such a sigh of relief, TV kinda makes you starve for sensitivity and when you are ready to give it up in despair, suddenly you hear KK on it. Awesome.
And you are damn right about the man who speaks in the last but the only respite is that atleast he pronounces the word correctly(i.e. if I didnt hear anything wrong)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

It was this morning, actually, at three. The time on the forum is apparently set to try and preserve my respectability, but yeah. :P

Um, no, the chap says 'Elchemist'. Which is just about as annoying as people rhyming 'age' with, for instance, 'carnage' or 'cleavage' because they've no idea what syllable stress is. Not, of course, that they'd know what 'carnage' means either. /recent experience

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 pm 

Oh, I mean atleast he didn't pronounce it as 'ulchemist' or 'olchemist' as many do. And I have long given up on expecting people to even have a slightest idea of syllable stress. At times they look at me as if I was telling them to learn French pronunciations. :x

You must be very lucky to have found this Pal cassette. Albeit downloadable form of music has made our lives easier but the free downloads have given a major blow to the poor guys selling audio CDs and tapes. Of late, most of these shops have closed down, the store in my vicinity keeps only mp3 CDs. Good thing is that he keeps many KK mp3s by various companies and replenishes them periodically. But my favourite from my collection is a CD that my best friend made for me on my 18th b'day. She sat for some 7 hrs, listening, assorting all the KK songs she could find and selected 75 of them which she thought I wouldn't have heard( and indeed I hadn't heard many) and made a CD complete with a printed wallpaper and all that. It is this disc that sits on the top of my drawer( or I could call it a mini ecosystem for it has things from various walks of life coexisting in harmony. I am weird enough to stuff stationary items, towels, rotahalers, bandages, screw drivers, pliers, little electronic circuits to be tweaked or dismantled and a couple of ol' Archie comics together along with that CD) and all the time I open it, you have already described my experience!

Also, one thing about that radio tarana interview that has me giggling hysterically (and I don't even know whether its out of amusement or I am a little annoyed) is the RJ addressing him as KKjee! Okay, I know he deserves all the respect but I somehow can never imagine that 'jee'. In a fit of somethin' I scribbled this
KKjee....?
Haan jee..?
Aap baat karane ke mood mein hain kya jee?
Naa jee....but you see, main kisi ko mana nahin kar pata....lets talk.
Thank you jee.
Anytime jee. :?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:13 pm 
TEAM THE MESMERIZER

Miaow, cheesy as the phrase is, I feel you. There was a school concert once in which someone had to say 'I am Infinity!' and instead of infinity like it should be she'd scream 'I am Infinity!' and it would drive me mad. (I was the narrator sitting backstage with a microphone...story of my life.)
There are music stores aplenty here, but tapes are now unheard of. Except in my lucky little corner of CP, apparently. =D You're certainly lucky to have such a friend! (Also I keep my autohaler beside my bed, along with a ginormous stack of non-academic books and a random screwdriver. :P)
That particular RJ is...a difficult interviewer to deal with, I think. His intentions are admirable, but his particular persistently literal brand of earnestness is the kind that sends creative souls into a bit of a flurry, if you see what I mean. And KK was just too tired to try and answer him on his own terms, which is what he usually does with everyone and with a smile - I mean damn, the man must be one of the best interviewees ever. (Though I wouldn't know, since I've never interviewed anyone but him. :P)
And yes, the 'jee' does feel a little incongruous. So does sirring him as though he's a senior officer, or knighting him like some people do. XD Surely it's respectful enough just to address someone politely by name? There's always Darlin' for friskier implications, after all. :P
(Apparently some people look askance at me at college for addressing seniors by their names and not tagging a 'di' on afterward. And then telling the juniors what! I have juniors! emphatically just to address me as Para. Well, I just can't address anyone or be addressed by the supposed title. It feels freaking ridiculous.)

Kappa, I'm flattered. ;) And also I have been two years longer in the fandom than you. :P
The experiences of eleven-year-old fangirlish self will probably turn up sometime in a sort of nostalgia-chronicle-post-thing. The intro to Wherefore Art Thou, Soniye was supposed to be a part of that post, actually, but it demanded to be written for his birthday, so I caved.
The red WagonR is sort of immortalized in that photograph. :P Which, I now realize, is actually a little larger than life, and my hand still looks tiny. XD
I think I realized Ye Dil Maange More was him almost to the day it went off the air. (Damn it, kid self.) Then again I was busy obsessing about Aashaaein in those days.
I'd probably agree if it weren't for the SIDBI jigle no one else has apparently heard...there was a Dabur jingle around then as well that went 'Jeet le ye zameen, jeet le aasmaan', which was kind of brilliant too, in its way. And the Liberty jingle was fun. XD

[Edit: I just found ...all the participants in the conversation have been reduced to anonymity and most of the posts are missing for some reason, but I'm pretty sure it's extremely obvious which one is Cain. Fifteen-year-old Cain, but Cain nevertheless. :P]